In this Tutorial I will tell you how to install the Latest stable version of NVIDIA Graphics driver 361.42 On Ubuntu 14.04 LTS / 15.10 and LinuxMint 17 / 16 / 15
Nvidia Linux Display Driver is a proprietary, yet freely distributed OpenGL video driver that aims to offer support for Nvidia graphics cards on any Linux kernel-based operating system.
This version has been designed to be installed only computers supporting the 64-bit architecture.
This Version 361.42 released on 30th March 2016 with a fix of bugs and support to new GPU's
Support to New GPU
- GeForce 920MX
- GeForce 930MX
- Quadro M6000 24GB
- Limited the default concurrency level in nvidia-settings to 32, to avoid hitting the maximum tasks limit on systems with many CPUs.
- Fixed a regression that caused GPU exceptions and incorrect rendering when using pbuffers with EGLDevice.
- Fixed a bug that caused nvidia-settings to crash when pairing glasses with the 3D Vision Pro transmitter on some systems.
- Fixed a bug that caused installer manifest entries for some 32-bit compatibility libraries to be duplicated in the installer package.
- Fixed a regression that caused the HSync and VSync mode timing polarity flags to be inverted.
Installation stepsStep 1: Remove the Older version of Nvidia driver before installation
sudo apt-get purge nvidia*Step 2: Reboot the system
Step 3: Download the Nvidia Driver 361.42
For 32bit click HERE
For 64 bit click HERE
Step 4: Switch to command prompt and stop the running Graphics session
Press Ctrl+Alt+F1-F6 for switching to command prompt
sudo service lightdm stop
sudo service gdm stop
sudo mdm stopStep 4: Give execute permissions to the installer
sudo chmod 755 NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-361.42.runStep 5: Install the Nvidia 361.42 driver
sudo ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-361.42.runAfter successfull installation reboot the system.
Uninstalltion of Nvidia driver 361.42For uninstall run the below command
sudo NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-361.42.run --uninstall