Wireshark an open source protocol analyzer software mainly used to monitor the traffic in a network ,recently version 2.0.5 released and easy to install it via Official PPA.
Wireshark got it's new interface in the version 2.0 series and it is written in QT5.
Changelog in Wireshark 2.0.5
- T30 FCF byte decoding masks DTC, CIG and NCS.
- TShark crashes with option "-z io,stat,…" in the presence of negative relative packet timestamps.
- Packet size limited during capture msg is repeated in the Info column.
- Wireshark loses windows decorations on second screen when restarting maximized using GNOME.
- Cannot launch GTK+ version of wireshark as a normal user.
- Restart current capture fails with "no interface selected" error when capturing in promiscuous mode.
- Add field completion suggestions when adding a Display filter or Y Field to the IO Graph.
- Wireshark Qt always indicates locale as "C".
- Wireshark crashes every time open Statistics ? Conversations | Endpoints.
- Find function within the conversations window does not work.
- Invalid values for USB SET_REQUEST packets.
- Display filter dropdown hides cursor.
- Filter for field name tcp.options.wscale.multiplier cannot exceed 255.
- Ctrl+ shortcuts that are not text-related do not work when focus is on display filter field.
- Closing Statistics window results in black screen.
- OSPF: Incorrect description of N/P-bit in NSSA LSA.
- Inconsistent VHT data rate.
- DCE/RPC malformed error when stub-data is missing but a sub-dissector has been registered.
- Wireshark is marking BGP FlowSpec NLRI as malformed if NLRI length is larger than 239 bytes.
- "Edit Resolved Name" is not saved in current pcapng file.
- MPTCP: MP_JOIN B bit not decoded correctly.
- MPTCP MP_PRIO header with AddrID: incorrect AddrID.
Protocol Support:6LoWPAN, ACAP, Asterix, BGP, DMP, DNS, DTLS, EAP, FMTP, GPRS LLC, GSM A, GSM A GM, GSM CBCH, GSM MAP, GTPv2, HTTP, IAX2, IEEE 802.11, iWARP MPA, MS-WSP, MySQL, NCP, NFS, PKTC, QUIC, R3, RTP, SMB, SPRT, TCP, ZEP, ZigBee, ZigBee NWK, ZigBee ZCL SE, and ZVT
Installation InstructionsAs of now the PPA is not updated to the latest version 2.0.5 , we will you once PPA updated.but below are the instructions for installtion via PPA
Step 1 : Add the official PPA
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:wireshark-dev/stableStep 2 : update the repository
sudo apt-get updateStep 3 : install wireshark 2.0
sudo apt-get install wireshark
During the installation, it will require to confirm security about allowing non-superuser to execute Wireshark.
Just confirm YES if you want to. If you check on NO, you must run Wireshark with sudo. Later, if you want to change this,
sudo dpkg-reconfigure wireshark-common