In this tutorial i will show you how to install the latest version of Pidgin 2.12.0 in Ubuntu / LinuxMint and CentOS from the source code
Pidgin is an open source IM messaging client that includes a wide range of benefits to users. It is available for Linux, Microsoft Windows and Mac OS X operating systems.
The below IM Protocols are supported:-
XMPP/Jabber, IRC, ICQ, AIM, Gadu-Gadu, SILC, Google Talk, MySpaceIM, Zephyr, Bonjour, MXit, Sametime, Groupwise, MSN, SIMPLE, Yahoo!, Yahoo! Japan, and Facebook.
Similar to other IM's these also contains custom smileys,room list, sending files, moods, sounds, custom themes and many more.
Changelog in Pidgin 2.12.0
- Fix an out of bounds memory read in purple_markup_unescape_entity.
- Fix use of uninitialised memory if running non-debug-enabled versions of glib
- Updated AIM dev and dist ID's to new ones that were assigned by AOL.
- TLS certificate verification now uses SHA-256 checksums.
- Fixed SASL external auth for Freenode.
- Removed the MSN protocol plugin. It has been unusable and dormant for some time. MSNP18 has been discontinued and the protocol plugin would require a large update to start working again. See: http://ismsndeadyet.com/ The third-party Pidgin SkypeWeb plugin, however, should provide enough
- functionality as a replacement if people still want to use MSN:https://github.com/EionRobb/skype4pidgin/tree/master/skypeweb
- Removed Mxit protocol plugin. The service was closed at the end of September 2016. See https://pidgin.im/pipermail/devel/2016-September/024078.html
- Removed the MySpaceIM protocol plugin. The service has been defunct for a long time.
- Remove the Yahoo! protocol plugin. Yahoo has completelyreimplemented their protocol, so this version is no longer operable as of August 5th, 2016:https://yahoo.tumblr.com/post/145715934739/q2-2016-progress-report-on-our-product A new protocol plugin has been written to support the new protocol.
- It can be found here: https://github.com/EionRobb/funyahoo-plusplus This also removes support for Yahoo! Japan. According to http://messenger.yahoo.co.jp/ the service ended March 26th, 2014.
- Remove the Facebook (XMPP) account option. According to https://developers.facebook.com/docs/chat the XMPP Chat API service ended April 30th, 2015. A new protocol plugin has been written,using a different method, to support Facebook. It can be found at https://github.com/dequis/purple-facebook/wiki
- Fixed gnutls certificate validation errors that mainly affected google (Dequis)
- Replaced instances of d.pidgin.im with developer.pidgin.im and updated the urls to use https.
- Fixed issue of messages being silently cut off at 500 characters. Large messages are now split into parts and sent one by one.
Installation Steps:Step 1:Install dependencies
Before proceding the dependencies need to be installed
sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev libglib2.0-dev libglade2-dev libgstreamer0.10-dev libfarstream-0.1-dev libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-dev libidn11-dev libmeanwhile-dev tk8.4-devStep 2: Download the source file and configure