In this Tutorial I will show you how to install Firefox 55.0 on Ubuntu 17.04 / 16.04 LTS /14.04 LTS,LinuxMint 17,Fedora 26 and CentOS 6.X / 7.x.
Firefox most commonly used browsers by everyone and one of the standard browsers too.It is an open source browser and it is developed by Mozilla Corporation and available for Multiple Operating systems (ie) Windows, Linux, Mac OSX. and it comes with its private mode and powerful plugins.
Firefox Released its new stable Version 55.0 on August 8th, 2017
What's New in Firefox 55.0?New:
- Browsing sessions with a high number of tabs are now restored in an instant
- Sidebar (bookmarks, history, synced tabs) can now be moved to the right edge of the window
- Fine-tune your browser performance from the Preferences/Options page.
- Make screenshots of webpages, and save them locally or upload them to the cloud. This feature will undergo A/B testing and will not be visible for some users.
- Added Belarusian (be) locale
- Assign custom shortcuts to Firefox menu items on OS X and macOS via System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts
- Simplify print jobs from within print preview
- Use virtual reality devices with the web with the introduction of WebVR
- Search suggestions are now enabled by default for users who haven't explicitly opted-out
- Search with any installed search engine directly from the location bar
- Breaking profile changes - do not downgrade Firefox and use a profile that has been opened with Firefox 55+.
- Windows stub installer is now streamlined for simpler installation. Users requiring advanced install options should use full installers.
- The Adobe Flash plugin is now click-to-activate by default and only allowed on http:// and https:// URL schemes. This change will be rolled out progressively and so will not be visible to all users immediately. For more information see the Firefox plugin roadmap
- Modernized application update UI to be less intrusive and more aligned with the rest of the browser. Only users who have not restarted their browser 8 days after downloading an update or users who opted out of automatic updates will see this change.
- Insecure sites can no longer access the Geolocation APIs to get access to your physical location
So how to install it?
Method 1: (For Debian based systems) Via PPABest and easy way is to upgrade Firefox by updating the Repository, it will automatically be upgraded to new version if the PPA is updated
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
Method 2: Via tar file -- applicable for all distributionsStep 1: Download the latest version of Firefox 55 from their FTP using wget
For 32 bit systems
wget https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/55.0/linux-x86_64/en-US/firefox-55.0.tar.bz2Step 2: Extract the tar package
tar -xjf firefox-55.0.tar.bz2Step 3: Move the Firefox folder to opt
Remove the Older version of Firefox if it's there
sudo rm -rf /opt/firefox54
sudo mv firefox /opt/firefox55
sudo mv /usr/bin/firefox /usr/bin/firefoxold
sudo ln -s /opt/firefox55/firefox-bin /usr/bin/firefox