MKVToolNix officially announced that the programs mkvmerge,mkvpropedirt,GUI'S header and chapter editors will be no-longer from this version.
MKVToolNix is an open-source software to create, alter and inspect Matroska files. MKVToolNix is available to end-users as graphical and command line
It is a cross-platform tool and it is available on most commonly used Linux, MacOSX, and windows, and it supports a large number of audio and subtitle formats recently they have released a stable version 15.0.0 on Aug 20, 2017
Audio and subtitle supported formatsH.264/AVC, RealVideo, Theora, VP8/VP9, MP2, MP3, AC3, raw PCM, AAC, OGG Vorbis, TrueAudio, ALAC, FLAC, WavPack, Opus, SSA, ASS, Kate, VobSub, and USF.
In this tutorial, I will show you how to install the latest version of MKVToolNix in Ubuntu 16.04 and higher versions
Changelog in this version 15.0.0New Features:
- MKVToolNix GUI: multiplex tool: added a new entry to the "source files" context menu labeled "Set destination file name from selected file's name". It will force the GUI to consider the selected file to be the reference for automatically setting the file name, no matter which file was originally added as the first file. It will also force setting the destination file name once if automatic destination file name generation is turned off in the preferences.
- MKVToolNix GUI: multiplex tool: added an option in the preferences on "Multiplexer" -> "Output" labeled "Only use the first source file that contains a video track". If enabled, only source files containing video tracks will be used for setting the destination file name. Other files that are added are ignore.
- MKVToolNix GUI: header editor: added support for editing the video colour attributes.
- MKVToolNix GUI: header editor: added support for the "video projection" track header attributes.
- MKVToolNix GUI: job queue: selected jobs can now be move up and down by pressing the `Ctrl+Up` and `Ctrl+Down` keys. Additionally, push buttons to move them up & down are shown if the corresponding option is enabled in the preferences.
- mkvmerge: added support for the "video projection" track header attributes.
- mkvinfo: added support for the "video projection" track header attributes.
- mkvpropedit: added support for editing the video colour attributes.
- mkvpropedit: added support for the "video projection" track header attributes.
For UbuntuStep 1: Add the MKVToolNix public key
wget -q -O - https://mkvtoolnix.download/gpg-pub-moritzbunkus.txt | sudo apt-key add -Step 2: Add the package according to your distribution
For Ubuntu 16.04
For Ubuntu 17.04
echo deb http://mkvtoolnix.download/ubuntu/xenial/ ./ >/etc/apt/sources.list.d/bunkus.org.listFor Ubuntu 16.10
echo deb http://mkvtoolnix.download/ubuntu/yakkety/ ./ >/etc/apt/sources.list.d/bunkus.org.list
echo deb http://mkvtoolnix.download/ubuntu/zesty/ ./ >/etc/apt/sources.list.d/bunkus.org.listStep 3: Update the repos
sudo apt-get updateStep 4 : Install MKVToolNix 15.0.0
sudo apt-get install mkvtoolnix mkvtoolnix-gui
For CentOS / Redhat 7.XEnable the EPEL repo and add the MKVToolNIX Rpm
sudo rpm -Uhv https://mkvtoolnix.download/centos/bunkus-org-repo-2-3.noarch.rpm && sudo yum install mkvtoolnix
For Fedora 25-26Add the RPM to your base machine and install it
sudo rpm -Uhv https://mkvtoolnix.download/fedora/bunkus-org-repo-2-3.noarch.rpm && sudo dnf install mkvtoolnix