Git a free and open source released a new version 2.15, it is a distributed version control system designed to handle everything from small to large projects with speed and efficiency.It is a client for the Popular GitHub.
In this tutorial, I will show you how to install git 2.15 On Ubuntu 16.04 LTS / 17.04 , LinuxMint and CentOS
The Latest version of GIT is 2.15 which is a stable version and it is released on 30th October 2017
- Use of an empty string as a pathspec element that is used for 'everything matches' is still warned and Git asks users to use a more explicit '.' for that instead.
- The hope is that existing users will not mind this change, and eventually the warning can be turned into a hard error, upgrading the deprecation into removal of this (mis)feature.
- That is now scheduled to happen in Git v2.16, the next major release after this one.
- Git now avoids blindly falling back to ".git" when the setup sequence said we are _not_ in Git repository.
- A corner case that happens to work right now may be broken by a call to BUG().
- We've tried hard to locate such cases and fixed them, but there might still be cases that need to be addressed--bug reports are greatly appreciated.
- "branch --set-upstream" that has been deprecated in Git 1.8 has finally been retired.
- Method 1: via ppa
- Method 2: via tar file
Method 1: Install Git 2.15 on ubuntu / LinuMint Via PPAStep 1: Add the Official PPA provided by GIT
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:git-core/ppaStep 2: Update the Repository
sudo apt-get updateStep 3: Install GIT 2.15
sudo apt-get install git
Method 2: Install Git 2.15 on Ubuntu / LinuxMint / CentOS Via sourcefileStep 1: Download the tar file from the official site or use wget
wget https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/git-2.15.0.tar.gzStep 2: Extract the package and configure it
tar -xvzf git-2.15.0.tar.gz
./configureStep 3: Compile the git
make && make installNote: if you encounter any error while using the make command install the below package and once again compile
For Debian distributions
apt-get install libssl-dev libcurl4-gnutls-dev
yum install openssl-devel curl-devel expat-devel gettext-devel zlib-devel perl-ExtUtils-MakeMakerCheck the version installed or not