In this Tutorial, I will tell you how to install the Latest stable version of NVIDIA Graphics driver 387.22 On Ubuntu 16.04 LTS / 17.04 and LinuxMint 17
Nvidia Linux Display Driver is a proprietary, yet freely distributed OpenGL video driver that aims to offer support for Nvidia graphics cards on any Linux kernel-based operating system.
This version has been designed to be installed on computers supporting the 64-bit & 32-bit architecture.
This Version 387.22 released on 30th October 2017 with a fix of bugs and support to new GPU's
Support for New GPU
- GTX 1070Ti
- Fixed a regression that could cause driver errors when setting modes that include DisplayPort Multi-Stream Transport devices.
- Added an nvidia.ko kernel module parameter, NVreg_EnableBacklightHandler, which can be used to enable experimental handling of laptop backlight brightness through /sys/class/backlight/. This handler overrides the ACPI-based one provided by the video.ko kernel module.
- Fixed a bug that could cause some eDP G-SYNC displays to flicker at low refresh rates.
- Fixed a bug that could cause OpenGL applications to crash after a prolonged DPMS sleep state on a monitor driven with PRIME Sync.
- Fixed a bug that artificially limited the maximum pixel clock to 300 MHz when using certain more capable DisplayPort to HDMI adapters.
- Fixed a bug that prevented the NVIDIA kernel modules from building for non-SMP Linux kernels.
- pdated the output of `nvidia-smi nvlink --status` to include reporting NVLink speed.
- Fixed a bug that caused incorrect PCI topology reporting in nvidia-smi on Intel Skylake systems.
For complete changelog refer this link
Installation stepsStep 1: Remove older version of NVIDIA
sudo apt-get purge nvidia*Step 2: Reboot the system
Step 3: Download the Nvidia Driver 387.22
wget http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/387.22/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-387.22.runFor 64 bit
wget http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/387.22/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-387.22.runStep 4: Switch to command prompt and stop the running Graphics session
Press Ctrl+Alt+F1-F6 for switching to command prompt
sudo service lightdm stop
sudo service gdm stopFor LinuxMint
sudo mdm stopStep 4: Give execute permissions to the installer
sudo chmod 755 NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-387.22.runStep 5: Install the Nvidia 387.22 driver
sudo ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-387.22.runAfter successful installation reboot the system.
Uninstallation of Nvidia driver 387.22For uninstall run the below command
sudo NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-387.22.run --uninstall