A new update for VLC Media player has been released and it is named as "Vetinari".
VLC Media Player a free open source multimedia player and available for all operating systems Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, and Linux.It is one of the most preferred players by users because it supports all video formats and also audio formats too.It also supports Multimedia files from DVD, VCD and Audio CD and etc.
VLC media player 3.0.0 supports 4K and 8K Playback by enabling hardware decoding and supports streaming to Google Chromecast devices
VLC media player for Android updated to recent version 3.0 also supports hardware decoding for VC1/WMV3 and MPEG2 streams.
In this tutorial, I will show you how to install the latest stable version of VLC 3.0.0 On Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, LinuxMint 17 / 16 / 15, Debian and Fedora
What's New in this version?
- VLC 3.0 "Vetinari" is a new major update of VLC.
- VLC 3.0 activates hardware decoding by default, to get 4K and 8K playback!
- It supports 10bits and HDR
- VLC supports 360 video and 3D audio, up to Ambisoncics 3rd order
- Allows audio passthrough for HD audio codecs
- Can stream to Chromecast devices, even in formats not supported natively
- Can play Blu-Ray Java menus: BD-J
- VLC supports browsing of local network drives and NAS
So how to install it?
Method 1: Via SNAP
Step 1: Install snapd if not installed on your system
sudo apt-get install snapd snapd-xdg-openStep 2: Install VLC Media Player via SNAP
sudo snap install vlc
Method 2: Via PPA
Step 1: Add the VLC PPA
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:jonathonf/vlcStep 2: Update the Repository
sudo apt-get updateStep 3: Install VLC 3.0.0
sudo apt-get install vlcFor Uninstall VLC 3.0.0 run the below command in terminal
sudo apt-get remove vlcIf you want to uninstall using SNAP run the below command
sudo snap remove vlc
For Fedora 22 & above
Step 1: Login as root and install the rpmfusion rpm
dnf install https://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-$(rpm -E %fedora).noarch.rpmStep 2: Install Vlc
dnf install vlc python-vlc npapi-vlc