In this tutorial, I will show you how to install Firefox 74.0 on Ubuntu 18.04 / 16.04 LTS, LinuxMint, Fedora and CentOS 6.X / 7.x.
Firefox most commonly used browsers by everyone and one of the standard browsers too.
It is an opensource browser and it is developed by Mozilla Corporation and Mozilla Foundation and available for Multiple Operating systems (ie) Windows, Linux, Mac OSX. and it comes with its private mode and powerful plugins
What's New in Firefox 74.0?
- Your login management has improved with the ability to reverse alpha sort (Name Z-A) in Lockwise, which you can access under Logins and Passwords.
- Firefox now makes importing your bookmarks and history from the new Microsoft Edge browser on Windows and Mac simple.
- Add-ons installed by external applications can now be removed using the Add-ons Manager (about:addons). Going forward, only users can install add-ons; they cannot be installed by an application.
- Facebook Container prevents Facebook from tracking you around the web - Facebook logins, likes, and comments are automatically blocked on non-Facebook sites. But when you need an exception, you can now create one by adding custom sites to the Facebook Container.
- Firefox now provides better privacy for your web voice and video calls through support for mDNS ICE by cloaking your computer’s IP address with a random ID in certain WebRTC scenarios.
- When a video is uploaded with a batch of photos on Instagram, the Picture-in-Picture toggle would sit atop of the “next” button. The toggle is now moved to allow you to flip through to the next image of the batch.
- On Windows, Ctrl+I can now be used to open the Page Info window instead of opening the Bookmarks sidebar. Ctrl+B still opens the Bookmarks sidebar making keyboard shortcuts more useful for our users.
Various security fixes.
So how to install Firefox 74 on Ubuntu / LinuxMint / CentOS?
Method 1 (For Debian based systems) Via PPAThe best and easy way is to upgrade firefox by updating the Repository, it will automatically be upgraded to the new version if the PPA updates
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
Method 2: Via tar file -- applicable for all distributionsStep 1:Download The Latest Version of Firefox 74 from their FTP using wget
https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/74.0/For 32 bit systems
wget https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/74.0/linux-x86_64/en-US/firefox-74.0.tar.bz2Step 2: Extract the tar package
tar -xjf firefox-74.0.tar.bz2Step 3: Move the Firefox folder to opt
Remove the Older version of Firefox if it's there
sudo rm -rf /opt/firefox73
sudo mv firefox /opt/firefox73Step 4: Create a symbolic link for New Firefox as default
sudo mv /usr/bin/firefox /usr/bin/firefoxold
sudo ln -s /opt/firefox74/firefox-bin /usr/bin/firefox